The world, our classroom: Museums and cultural landscapes
Design non-formal educational programmes for students and adults of cultural, social and environmental interest, out of the classroom.
ECVET points: 3.5
Teachers and trainers in primary, secondary schools, vocational education schools and organizations, adult learning providers.
Upon completion of the training course, the participant is expected to:
- Identify the characteristics of non-formal educational programmes
- Be able to design educational programmes out of the class
- Be able to develop educational methods and material for outdoor programmes
- Be able to plan field trips
- Design and implement evaluation activities of non-formal learning programmes
Each day start with a workshop, where the theme of the day is presented.
The participants are asked to design field trips and educational programmes.
Each day, there is a field trip to places of interest, where the participants have the chance to know Athens and to practice skills and competencies acquired during the workshop.
At the end of each day, there is a reflection of the day, taking place either in class or outside the class.
During the week, the participants will develop their own portfolios with educational programmes in the places they visit.
- Museums, typology, characteristics
- Cultural landscapes, natural and urban landscapes
- Educational programmes in museums and cultural landscapes
- Organising and planning field trips
- Athens cultural heritage
- Non - formal learning – definitions and examples
- Museums – different types
- Pedagogical characteristics of educational programmes in museums
- Design principles of educational programmes
- Cultural museum, Scientific museum, exchibits and pedagogical practices
- Cultural landscapes, natural and urban environment
- Environmental education
- Planning a field trip
- Evaluation principles for educational programmes
Field trips, indicative list
- Destination Piraeus, the port of history
- Classical Athens, Visit to main archaological sites in Athens: Acropolis, Museum of Acropolis, Zeus Temple, Ancient Agora, Keramicos
- Scientific museums: Planetarium, Eugenides Foundation, Cultural Centre Hellenic Cosmos, University of Athens museums
- Cultural landscapes: Athens seaside and Sounio cape. Temple of Poseidon and the famous sunset
- Urban landscapes: The neighborhoods of Athens, day and night walks of places of interest
The learning material consists of presentations and support material in English language.
Nikos Voyiatzis. Educational designer and web culture specialist with working experience in cultural and media education. His expertise is in designing and instructing courses in the intersections of arts, humanities, science and technology.
Tuition fee: 350 euro per person for 5 days training and 420 euro for 6 days training
The cost includes the learning material and the certificates: Certificate of completion, Europass Certificate Supplement, Europass Mobility
Cultural activities: 140 euro per person (in Piraeus)
The cost includes public transport for excursions in Athens and Piraeus, bus for the excursion to Sounio and two dinners. The cost of tickets to archeological sites and museums is not included. Lunch is not included.
Cultural activities: 280 euro per person(in Chania)
- buffet lunch in “Mediterranean” restaurant during the training days (Monday – Saturday). Buffet lunch includes: home made bread, house wine and local beverages, variety of salads, cold and hot plates, and desserts. All dishes are prepared in the kitchen of the Conference Centre, with organic olive oil and local and biological cultivated products and they respect the local gastronomy.
- transfer to Chania old town, a walking tour and welcome dinner. The group will be transferred in the old town in buses, they will stroll around the old port of Chania and they will have dinner in a typical Cretan restaurant. Dinner includes variety of starters and salads to share, meat platters, house wine and dessert.
- an excursion in the famous beach of Falassarna and a visit to Kissamos village, in the west Crete. The cost includes the bus transfer, it does not include dinner and other expenses. You are expected to bring your swimming suits, towels and good mood.
- transfer to Chania and common farewell dinner. The group will be transferred in the district of Halepa and they will visit places of historical and touristic interest. They will have dinner in a typical Cretan restaurant. Dinner includes variety of starters and salads to share, meat platters, house wine and dessert.
In addition, the programme includes the following educational visits:
- Field trip to Herakleion and Knosos palace
- Field trip to historical places and traditional villages of Chania region (indicatively Therisos, Vamos etc)
- Field trip to a traditional olive oil factory
The cost can be funded by Erasmus+ programme KA1 mobility of staff.
|Chania||6-11/7/2020||Summer school 2020 - 6 days|
|Chania||July 2021||Summer school 2021 - 6 days|
Well planned and inspiring. It certainly met my expectations.
Maria, Gymnasio - lykio Kato Pyrgou, Cyprus
I have a wonderful time and met a lot of new friends. Really inspiring course.
Anne, Uddevalla Vuxenutbildning RO3, Sweden
I would recommend this experience to everyone. We learnt so much from each other and opened our eyes for some new ways of teaching and educational support. Had an amazing group: very passionate, happy, enthusiastic but also great teachers and professionals. I would do it again for sure!
Nika, Medvedgrad Primary School, Croatia
The course was great because I could use my experience in practice. We’ve learned a lot from each teacher. All that power and experience I take back to my school and museum and I’m sure that will make me better as teacher and person. Thank you!
Piotr, SZKOŁA PODSTAWOWA NR 7 im. Hugona Kołłątaja, Poland
It was a great experience for me! I found the course very interesting. I practice my English, I met teachers from other countries and I shared ideas and experiences with them. I was guided in remarkable museums and cultural landscapes of Greece. I learned many things that I will use in my classroom. Thank you!
Eleni, DIMOTIKO SCHOLEIO LATSION 2 (K.A), Cyprus
I am very satisfied and I got many new ideas that I will definitely use. The staff was just amazing! Thank you so much!
Oskar, Kuusalu Secondary School, Estonia
All the people working at IDEC were really open and friendly!
Magdalena, Örebro Kommun, Sweden
The social aspect of meeting and working with participants in the course from both familiar and different teaching colleagues, was very interesting and rewarding.
Jacob, Greve Gymnasium, Denmark
I have many super ideas!
Alina, Association of non-formal education "Abadele", Lithuania